O'Hare Airport Info to make traveling easier
Chicago's O'Hare Airport reclaimed the title of the busiest airport for takeoffs and landings in 2014,
but not for the number of people. Some basic O'Hare Airport info may make your traveling easier.
Popular Travel Times:
- Busiest days to travel: Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Fly early, but not too early.
- The busiest times are 6-8 am, and 3-5 pm.
- The worst time for delayed flights: 7-9 pm, due to ripples from the 3-5 pm rush.
Security Tips and Checkpoint Wait Times
TSA screening times vary, depending on which terminal you’re departing from.
Always allow at least 20 minutes for security, but you can do a same-day check of screening line times at:
Only the Terminal 5 TSA checkpoint is open 24 hours. Terminal 1, 2, and 3 checkpoints are open from approximately 4 am -11 pm.
Make TSA screening easier on everyone:
- Have your boarding pass and ID in hand when you get to the front of the line.
- Wear slip-off shoes and a light coat, weather permitting.
- Liquids must be less than 3.4 ounces, bottles must fit in 1-quart bags,
and be placed in a bin for screening. Carry an empty water bottle and
fill it at a drinking fountain once you’re past security.
- Have laptops and large tech items easily accessible
- Use TSA Pre-Check (https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck)
for a fast and easy screening process (short lines, no shoe removal, no liquid
checks, no computer removals)
- See your airline’s rules for check-in times, but in general, allow a minimum of 3 hours before your flight for check-in, baggage check, and security. Don’t forget your passport.
- Something to consider if you’re connecting through O’Hare: Short hop flights get delayed or canceled first because priority is given to larger, long haul flights. Instead of taking a regional flight from eastern Iowa, southern Wisconsin, southern Illinois, or Indiana, drive and park at PreFlight Airport Parking.
Free WiFi is available in all ORD terminals for a limited amount of time.
If you need to work off stress from a delayed flight, there’s a Yoga Room in Terminal 3.
Food & Drink at O'Hare:
- Need coffee for that 6:30 flight? There are 17 Starbucks in Terminals 1-3.
- Want to eat before dropping off your car? Try our recommendation below near our facility include: